Cumalıkızık, which is one of the first places where Ottomans settled in Bursa, has a total of 270 houses, 180 of which are still used and some of which are conservation and restoration works. The remains of a church belonging to the Byzantine period were discovered in 1969 at the Ihlamurcu location at the base of the Uludağ Mountain in the southeast of the Cumalıkızık settlement. Some of the architectural fragments found on the surface of the remains of the church are hidden in the Bursa Archaeological Museum. The Ottoman Principality, which was established near Bursa, succeeded to dominate the region shortly after its establishment and conquered Bursa in 1326 and İznik in 1331 and consequently made its presence acknowledged in the region. Thus, the Ottoman people settled in these lands and formed cities and villages.
Cumalıkızık has been established as a foundation village and this feature has been reflected in the settlement texture, residential architecture and life style. The local villages, which are trapped between the steep base and the valleys in the north of Uludağ, are named as "red" because of their location. In order for the villagers to be separated from each other, the names of Derekızık was given to those near the dere 'stream', Fidyekızık for those who gave fidye 'ransom' and Kızık to the villagers who went to the Cuma 'Friday prayer' in groups. The file prepared by the works of the Bursa Metropolitan Municipality, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, the General Directorate of Cultural Assets and Mines, to ask that the Hanlar Region, Sultan Complexes and Cumalıkızık Village from the historical areas of Bursa be added to the Unesco World Heritage List; As of February 1, 2013, the dossier has been transmitted to the Secretary of the UNESCO World Heritage Center through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It was accepted by UNESCO as of une 2014 that Bursa should be included in the UNESCO World Heritage List together with Sultan's Complexes. Source: Bursa Provincial Directorate of Culture and Tourism